Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 4, 2011

But How Can I...?

The best way to share a new skill or approach a new goal is to figure out how to make that task seem second nature. That is to say, I wish to accomplish A, B, C, but I only have a comfort level for A; What’s the best way to learn B, and C? I have been told many times in the past that you don’t make alot of progress on the first attempt, and you won’t answer an unknown question unless you ask somebody who has the knowledge needed.

Recently I was given a task to share some rather simple computer technology with a new user. I was proud of this person for wanting to challenge themselves with a new skill, and frustrated with myself when I caught myself thinking that the best way to explain it would be to do the task myself. Once I caught myself, and realized that the task wouldn’t be learned or remembered in future if I did it; I found myself in an interesting position as “Teacher”. I then was caused to flash forward to my current goals, and the realization that I, myself would be looking for guidance of my own, not wishing the job to be done for me, rather show me the skills and let me fine-tune on my own.

What makes this amazing is that knowledge is something to be shared, and that the more it is shared, the more rudimentary the task will become. As teachers, we are expected to share what we know, and as students we are expected to learn from someone with the skills we need. This seems to hold true in any facet of life. The ones who truly benefit in this equation are those who realize the more we give and take; rather than take and take, the more we truly will learn. No one is born with all the knowledge, and we spend at least 12-25(+) years gaining an education through school, only to “learn” that we still don’t have all the answers, and that the learning must continue, even as we are expected to cope with other life issues; like bills, employment, illness, or even death.

Learning is a cycle, where all the intersections created are by giving and sharing; the more we give, surprisingly the more we receive in kind. You then become something of an expert, even though at the start of the day you had no idea what was ahead of you. Self-learning is possible, a second opinion never hurt.

Have a Fantastic Day!!

Image001


Daniel J. Smith
Community Manager

Radical Events

(617) 939-9178 - business
(905) 627-4909 - home
Threewords Me: http://www.threewords.me/thedanieljsmith
Awesomize Me: http://www.awesomize.me/thedanieljsmith
Join My Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Daniel-J-Smith/199011880109236
Join My Branchout: http://bit.ly/i5uwAn 

My profiles:          
Contact me: 

Image012
 thedanieljsmith 
Image013
 danieljsmith@hotmail.ca

Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment